Fall is one of the favorite seasons for furry pals due to its crisp air, colorful foliage and sweet aroma of the seasonal plants lingering in the environment. Though the season is welcoming, it has potential health hazards for your furry pals, about which you may not be knowing. It is essential to learn about these dangers and protect your pet from the unconditional situations.
Let us look into some of the major things that you need to take care of in Fall.
Less Hours Of Daylight
Shorter days mean fewer hours of daylight and we have to cut-short some of our day activities when visibility is poor. Dog owners have to take their furry pal on walks either during the dusk or dawn. This brings in the added risks of accidents due to low visibility.
During winters, when taking your furry pals on walks in the darkness of early morning or evening, it is crucial to be careful of your pet. Reduced light means it is challenging for drivers to see animals, which may lead to accidents at times. Therefore, it is crucial to keep a close observation on your pooch on a walk and control by having a leash and collar or chest harness. Make him wear reflective collars as well as a tag with a microchip for a safe return in case of missing incident.
Leaves – A Catastrophe to Handle
It’s a pleasure to just move around and listen to that rumbling sound coming out of the dried leaves. Dogs love to run about the foliage and have fun time. But the furry animals are not aware of the danger of this debris. These dried leaves are the source of toxicity if your fur pal lick any substance from the ground or their paws.
There may be fleas, ticks as well as bacteria and mold growth on these leaves. And, if your pet ingests any of these micro-organisms, it would be creating dangerous condition including vomiting, diarrhea, sickness or even tapeworm infection.
It is better to remove the foliage and cut short the dried grass in the lawn to keep away those nasty parasites. Moreover, ensure that your pet remains indoors, separate from the yard work.
Plants and Mushrooms
Mushrooms and other toxic plants are seasonal plants of the Fall and they are wildly found during this time. Your furry pal may succumb to toxicity if any of the part – leaves, stem or flower, any of these is ingested by them. Mushrooms are wildly found in yards. Though most of the wild mushrooms are non-toxic, there are a few which are highly toxic, and when ingested cause challenging situations.
Therefore, try to remove any unwanted plants and mushrooms from your yard and avoid your pet from moving around in the yard until you remove it.
Fatality due to Rodenticides
Falling temperatures drive rodents out of their shell in search of shelter for cold into your homes. People mostly use rodenticides to kill these creatures and keep them away from their homes. However, at times your dog or cat are likely to feast on these chemicals, and may encounter grave danger. Rodenticides cause critical conditions like hemorrhages, uncontrolled bleeding, and blood in vomit.
If you suspect that your cat or a dog has ingested rodenticides and find any toxicities, immediately contact your vet or poison emergency center for immediate help.
Before your dog or a cat fall to any of the dangers of the season fall, ensure all the care and take precautions to avoid any unfaithful circumstances.
Source by Taya Burnett