As care taker of your pet, you are also obliged to protect them from the infestation of fleas and ticks. There are more than a thousand identified species of fleas but ironically, only ones is bane to dogs, the chenocephalides or cat fleas. Ticks attach itself to the animals and grow bigger as they continue to suck the host’s blood.
Here are top 10 flea and tick products that can eliminate these vermin which is causing misery and pain to your pets.
1. Frontline arsenal of flea and tick control. Frontline plus is topically applied flea and tick control for dogs and cats. It contains two separate active ingredients: the fibronil which kills adult fleas and the (S) methrophene which kills only larvae and eggs. Other products are Frontline Top Spot and Frontline Spray.
2. K-9 Advantix kills 98-100% of fleas on dogs within 12 hours and continues to prevent infestation for at least 4 weeks. Its primary purpose is to kill fleas, ticks and mosquitoes.
3. Advantage flea control is for dogs and for puppies not less than 7 weeks. It is guaranteed to kill 98-100% of fleas within 12 hours. It is applied monthly. Advantage is also used for cats.
4. Capstar is a pill which eliminates fleas from both dogs and cats. It starts killing 98% of fleas within 20-30 minutes after dosage.
5. Progrem Tablets (Lufenuron) are effective dog and cat flea control which hinders the development of flea eggs. It is available in beef flavored oral tablets. Progrem tablets are considered 100% safer and effective in preventing and controlling the flea population. Since, it does not kill adult flea; it must be taken with other preventibles.
6. Preventic Tick Collar kills and detaches ticks from dogs. When the collar is worn, it prevents an onslaught of ticks and this is effective for three months. However, it is not able to kill and control the flea population. It is water-resistance and durable. It is not applicable for cats.
7. Proticall for dogs contains 65% permethrin for fast action in killing ticks, fleas and other insects. It repels ticks from skin surface. It stays effective even after brief water immersion. An inexpensive, safe and easy to apply liquid, Proticall must be applied every 4 weeks.
8. Promeris for cats and dogs is a topical spot-on product which controls existing flea and tick infestation. Its active ingredients attack the nervous system resulting in paralysis and death of these pests.
9. Bio Spot flea and tick collar for cats and kittens. It kills both fleas and ticks, including its eggs and larvae.
10. Other products for flea and tick control are: powder, comb, shampoo, and flea trap
Fast tips in using tick and flea control products: Read the labels carefully; follow directions strictly; keep multiple products separate in dosage and application; consult vet in case of doubt; monitor the effect of the product on your pet; if you notice a negative reaction, stop dosage, or application and give your pet a bath; do not use for kittens and puppies without vet’s approval, use gloves when handling the product; and keep product away from children. In all Frontline, K-9 Advantix and Capstar are wildy used products.
Keep your pets healthy and happy by making use of these top 10 flea and tick products to eliminate these pests.